8.04.2006

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister



Download Now


WAIT. Before you dismiss this as a depressing emo CD, please ignore the album art (and somewhat the title) and realize that Belle and Sebastian is very cute listening for those times when you're drifting in thought, sitting somewhere (in a moving car is always lovely). It's lovely, ponderous music. The lyrics aren't relatable unless you really try, so it won't remind you of your tiresome life. It's worth it. Sure, maybe you won't be hooked on the first listen. But trust me, Belle and Sebastian come in very handy for healing some inner wounds you didn't even know you had. They're peaceful without being boring and slow.

I have to admit, it's not my favorite Belle and Sebastian album; however, it carries that classic laidback-yet-not-boring, soft charm that is Belle and Sebastian. Favorites include: "Like Dylan in the Movies", "If You're Feeling Sinister", and "Judy and the Dream of Horses." I find the random content of their songs amusing, as well as, again, charming. I sort of get the feeling the lead singer (SORRY I don't remember these names, even if I positively adore the band and have spent weeks listening only to them - but don't underestimate my affection) doesn't open his mouth very much while he sings. He has kind of a mumbly singing thing. Charming. :)